previously

Pages

24.4.10

liewe lulu

Lulu is probably my most favourite cafe design by most favourite interior design team - Tonic.

I'm not going to give you an entire analysis on the space, because I doubt anyone has the energy or motivation to read so much unless they really have to, but I guess I should atleast explain why I like the interior design:
1. the subtle reference to South African farm culture - as though Lulu is this really quirky cool boeremeisie from some dusty little town in the vrystaat that eloped with an equally cool and quirky rich artist from Cape Town (obviously) and then decided to just let arty stylish strangers come into her house to chill for lunch everyday. ie - coziness + sense of place.
2. the custom designed furniture (in my imagination made by lulu and the artist in their loft studio in kalk bay or something) that is beautifully construncted with just enough detail to make it special - but not overly decorated.
3. "brick" shaped glazed ceramic tiles in off-white-cream and exposed wood (teak?) trusses.
4. pinky cherry strawberry red versus cream.

images: http://www.tonicdesign.co.za/list.php?row=7&cat=4

No comments:

Post a Comment